Report by: Dr. June Knight
March 21, 2019 – Washington DC – In a press conference call today by the White House, they stated what this Executive Order means to colleges:
SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Today, President Trump will sign an executive order to support free inquiry, transparency, and accountability at colleges and universities across the country. The President strongly supports cultivating free speech and open inquiry in higher education. Our nation’s democracy was built on free inquiry and it is essential for learning, scientific discovery, and economic prosperity.
American institutions of higher education should promote open, intellectually engaging debate, which is critical to create the next generation of successful leaders and thinkers. The order directs 12 grant-making agencies to use their authorities over federal grants, in coordination with the Director of OMB, to ensure those institutions that receive federal research or education grants promote free inquiry through compliance with all applicable federal laws, regulations, and policies.
The order does not apply to student aid programs that cover tuition, fees, or stipends. The administration believes public colleges and universities should fulfill their obligation to uphold the First Amendment, and private schools should comply with their stated institutional policies regarding free inquiry.
The President also supports ensuring students have the information they need to make critical decisions about their education. The executive order directs the Department of Education to publish program-level data into the college scorecard, including earnings, debt, default rates, and loan repayment rates. These data will help students better understand their options, the associated outcomes, and choose a school and program that works best for them.
The order also directs the Department of Education to submit a report to the President of policy recommendations that ensure institutions share the financial risk associated with student loans.
This executive order is an important step in advancing the President’s vision of making higher education more transparent and holding institutions more accountable.
What do they mean by the colleges SHARING THE FINANCIAL RISK? The Press Release below addresses it.
Here is the PRESS RELEASE FROM THE WHITE HOUSE:
| Office of the Press Secretary FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE|
March 21, 2019
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS IMPROVING TRANSPARENCY AND
PROMOTING FREE SPEECH IN HIGHER EDUCATION|
“We reject oppressive speech codes, censorship, political correctness, and every other attempt by the hard left to stop people from challenging ridiculous and dangerous ideas. These ideas are dangerous. Instead, we believe in free speech, including online and including on campus.” – President Donald J. Trump
PROMOTING FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS: President Donald J. Trump is committed to promoting free speech on college campuses.
• Today, the President is signing an Executive Order that promotes free speech on college campuses.
• Agencies will take appropriate steps to ensure that college and university campuses are places of free thought and debate.
• The Trump Administration believes that public schools should fulfill their obligation to uphold the First Amendment and private schools should comply with their stated institutional policies regarding free speech.
• The Trump Administration believes that schools should promote free speech and be transparent about their speech policies.
IMPROVING TRANSPARENCY: The Trump Administration will ensure students have access to information they need to make the higher education decisions that work best for them.
• The Executive Order will provide students with the information they need to make smart and informed decisions about their postsecondary education.
• The Department of Education (Department) will make improvements to its mobile application so borrowers are better informed about loan balances, payments, and repayment options.
o The Department will also expand data available on College Scorecard, including program level earnings, debt, and loan default and repayment rates.
• Access to this information and additional data will improve borrowing behavior and help students better understand their educational options.
• Improved transparency will help in the development and implementation of options that will improve student outcomes and accelerate degree completion.
o The Department will support efforts of States and institutions to reduce barriers to degree or program completion and save students money.
• The Executive Order requires the Department to develop policy proposals that help ensure postsecondary institutions share more of the financial risk associated with student loans.
• The Trump Administration will explore options for a common sense approach to debt collection.
ADDRESSING STUDENT LOAN DEBT: Across the country, students are taking on massive student loan debt that inhibit them from prospering in today’s booming economy.
• Rising tuition and student debt levels make postsecondary education untenable for many Americans.
• Many students with loans are taking on far too much debt and pursuing degrees that do not lead to well-paying jobs, thereby making repayment difficult.
• Students need better information about prices and outcomes of postsecondary options so they can make better and well-informed choices.
• Further, improving access to data will help allow taxpayers to hold schools accountable for student outcomes.
Dr. June Knight is the President of We are the Bride Ministries, which contains WATB.tv and WATB Radio. She has a Master’s in Corporate Communications and a Doctor in Theology. She has spent the last six years in full-time ministry and serving the Bride of Christ with her talents, skills and gifts. She s a modern-day scribe documenting what God is doing. In 2017 she traveled the entire country – 36 states, 18,000 miles and 6 months praying along the entire border of the country. She made two documentaries of that trip which you can find @watb.tv on YouTube. God finally moved her to Washington DC on October 8, 2018 to help the Bride of Christ on the government level. God recently blessed We are the Bride Ministries with an office next to the White House! Dr. June attends press conferences at various branches of government and other Christian events. This news is reported based upon the Christian perspective. Find out more about Dr. June at www.drjune.org.